You walk across the rug, reach for the doorknob and..........ZAP!!!
You get a static shock.
Many people have static problems, especially in the winter when the indoor air is very dry. But don't worry, static elimination may be easier than you think. There are many steps you can take to eliminate static electricity, and many static control products available.
Static Elimination Tips
Our expert in static electricity in the electronics industry suggests trying the following to get rid of static electricity problems in your home or office:
1) Increase the humidity in your house and workplace. Air is much drier in the winter, which increases the frequency and severity of shocks. Use a humidifier.
2) Change clothes - switch to natural fibers, since synthetics pick up more of a static charge.
3) Change shoes - there are special conductive shoes in a variety of styles. They are made for people working in the electronics industry. You will need to find a store or catalogue that sells or can order them for you. (Search online for "esd shoes")
4) If your skin is very dry - try an anti-static hand lotion (also available for the electronics industry.)
Search online for "esd shoes" or "antistatic products"
Here are 3 more suggestions for static control from other sources:
1) Walk barefoot. (Or, as silly as it may sound, cover your shoes with aluminum foil when possible) to reduce the static buildup.
2) Wear a thimble on your finger, or carry a coin, and use them to touch grounded metal objects as often as possible. This will not eliminate the static discharge, but will stop the pain you feel in your fingertips.
3) Be sure to ground yourself before touching sensitive electronic equipment.
Static Control Products in the Workplace
People working in areas where ESD (electrostatic discharge) can damage sensitive equipment often use products designed for static control or elimination.
For static control in work areas, use anti static mats on floors and work surfaces, and have people wear anti-static wrist bands, heel straps or conductive shoes. Using an anti static spray on surfaces may also be helpful.
Special product packaging materials are also available, for example, anti static bags and anti static foam.
Search online for static elimination or ESD control products